Arsenal 2-1 Wolves


Arsenal completed a dramatic late comeback to earn three points in a frantic encounter with in-form Wolves.

Despite raining the shots in throughout the 90 minutes, Hwang Hee-Chan's first-half strike had looked to be decisive for a resolute Wolves side - until our late turnaround.

With 10 minutes remaining Substitute Nicolas Pepe spun and finished well inside the box to draw us level. But more drama was to follow.

As the game entered injury-time (added on due to Wolves' earlier time-wasting) captain Alexandre Lacazette fired in off the keeper at the near post to send the Emirates crowd into raptures.

It felt like a big moment in the race for European qualification.

It had been a lively start that set the tone for the whole match. Gabriel Martinelli went down in the area inside the first two minutes, but it was a fair challenge, before Romain Saiss had the ball in the net for the visitors, only to be flagged offside.

Within a few minutes though Wolves did have one that counted. Gabriel - who scored the only goal of the game two weeks ago at Molineux – was the villain this time. His backpass went straight to Hwang, and the South Korean scored from a tight angle.

Raul Jimenez had a great chance to double the lead shortly afterwards after being set up by the influential Daniel Podence, but rolled his shot just wide.

The Gunners needed to respond. Alexandre Lacazette fired into the side netting from close range before Martin Odegaard had shot blocked inside the area after superb work from Bukayo Saka.

Saka himself had the next attempt, but his shot was well charged down after he beat the offside trap. Lacazette had a shot from long distance easily saved, then pulled one back for Gabriel Martinelli to stab over.

It was all Arsenal, but the well organised Wolves defence were standing firm.

The first chance of the second half fell to Wolves. Hwang sprinted through, threaded his shot through the legs of Aaron Ramsdale, but mercifully past the upright.

Saka had a couple of shots blocked, but the congested Wolves penalty area was proving difficult to breach.

Lacazette was the next to try his luck, but rather snatched at his shot on the turn.

His next effort was better, but this time Jose Sa parried it away for a corner as we kept up the pressure going into the final 20 minutes.

Then finally, with our 23rd shot of the evening, Pepe spun and fired home from Eddie Nketiah's cutback.

It was no more than we deserved, and finally we had just under ten minutes to find a winner.

Odegaard's shot over and Saka had a low shot saved and that looked to be that. But Lacazette had other ideas, and after firing a powerful effort at Sa, the ball was diverted home for a precious late winner. 


No comments

Powered by Blogger.